I’m sitting here dealing with an rather severe case of insomnia and really cant think straight so it’s best if I keep things simple and you really cant get much more simplistic then Brown Rice. The problem is that most of the time, it tastes like shit. But it doesn’t, its just been cooked wrong.
I am way too tired to try to explain the intricacies of it’s chemical structure or any of that today, what you need to know is that it really good for you and its easier to cook then your normal white rice. It’s also very hearty which is a good thing if you live anywhere that has Winter.
So here, I’m finally posting about food again. You’re welcome.
Mise En Place
- A Large pot of boiling water with a tight fitting lid. Don’t worry about the water to rice ratio, just make sure the rice has a lot of room to move around.
- A wooden spoon
- A Strainer
- 1 to 2 cups of brown rice, rinsed well in cold water
- Fork or whisk to fluff the rice with
MOP (Method of Preparation)
- Really simple here people, just add the rice to the boiling water
- Stir it and put the lid on
- Let the water keep boiling
- 30 minutes later, strain the rice.
- Put the rice back in the pot, put the lid back on and let it sit for another 10 minutes then fluff and serve.
What you’re doing is cooking rice like pasta and letting it move around, then steaming it to finish it off. When you cook it like this, the grains stay intact and they don’t turn to mush the way they do when cooked like typical white rice.
There are as many variations of cooking rice as there are types of rice and each one has its own use. Play around, question everything and email me if you have any questions or comments.
*** If you like this post and the site and want to help keep things running you can click here or share us by clicking any of the links below